Happy HUMP day everyone! I hope your week has been treating you nicely! I have been busy with all the usual. :) While at the gym today, I had a craving for some soup with mushrooms. Random, I know. I am reading the book the Omnivores Dilemma by Michael Pollen and towards the end of the book, he describes the taste of Chanterelle mushrooms as having "a delicate flavor, fruity with a hint of pepper, and a firm but silky texture."Well, I had that in my head all afternoon. So after the gym, I popped over to Whole Foods in search of some mushrooms. They didn't have the Chanterells, but they did have some locally grown Maitake and Bunashimeji mushrooms that I swooped up. With my loot in hand, I headed home to see what I could make. I ended up throwing together a soup of mushrooms, goodies from my weekly CSA box, a little brown rice and some homemade bone broth. It was soooo tasty that I had to share it with you tonight! It's loaded with vitamins and minerals and is also very healing for the gut!! I hope you enjoy!!!
Mixed Mushroom Soup with Rainbow Chard & Spring Onions
Ingredients:
1 bunch of Rainbow chard, chopped. Leaves and stem separated.
3-4 large spring onions chopped
1 bag (3.5 oz) Bunashimeji Mushroom (or mushroom of your choice)
1 bag (3.5 oz) Maitake Mushroom (or another mushroom of your choice)
1/2-1 cup of pre-cooked brown rice per serving (I soaked mine over night in whey and bone broth)
Homemade Beef Bone Broth
1 tbsp of gelatin per serving (I recommend Great Lakes gelatin)
1 1/2 tbsp Ghee
Salt to taste
Directions:
1. In a Dutch oven, melt 1 tbsp of ghee over medium heat. Add chopped onions and cook 4-5 mins. Stir. Heat bone broth in small saucepan.
2. Add chopped up chard ends and allow to cook another 3 mins. Stir
3. Add chopped chard leaves and chopped mushrooms
4. Allow to cook for 5-7 mins
5. In a separate pan, heat another 1/2-1 tbsp of ghee on medium heat. Lightly fry brown rice until you smell nice nutty aroma. approx 3-4 mins.
6. Prepare serving bowls. In each bowl mix approx 1 tbsp of gelatin with 1/4 c cold water. The mixture will be very gelatinous. Top with 1/2 - 1 cup of brown rice. Next, add about 1-1/2cups of the vegetable mixture. Add 1 1/2 - 2 ladles of hot bone broth. Salt to taste. Enjoy!!!
I'm choose to assemble this soup separately because I personally do not like soggy rice in my soup. I'm sure you could combine all the ingredients into one pot, but I recommend trying this one first! :)

No comments:
Post a Comment