Thursday, April 10, 2014

Smoothies - 5 Ways to Add Protein Naturally


Happy Thursday! I hope your week is treating you nicely. I've had great energy this week. Maybe it's the sunshine, maybe all the yummy food I've been eating, maybe it's from good news that I've been hearing from friends.. (one that just got engaged! yay!) who knows, but it's just a good week! (lPharrell's song "Happy" is playing in my head right now, lol).

Ok, back down to earth and on to today's post..

I am sure most of you know that good quality protein is an essential part of every diet. Your body uses amino acids contained in the protein to build tissues including muscle and bone, hormone production, and detoxification among many other vital processes.  It's important to get your protein from a variety of sources because each source also contains a broad array of micro-nutrients. So if you broaden your spectrum, you're more likely to ensure you get all your vitamins and minerals each day. This applies to all the food we eat. Variety is essential to optimal health.

I came across an article today on StumbleUpon (really cool website if you haven't already checked it out) that offered different ways to add protein to your smoothies without having to use store bought powders. Below are some of my favorites from that list:

1. Nut Butter - Almond, Peanut, Cashew, Nuttzo... your choice. Nuts are a great way to add about 7 grams of protein per serving to your smoothies, plus different varieties contain Omega 6 and 3 fatty acids for cellular functions and L-arginine for building lean muscle!

2. Chia Seeds - not only are these guys loaded with omega 3 fatty acids and fiber, they bring in 4 grams of protein per tablespoon.

3. Sunflower Seeds - These guys have about  1.5 grams of protein per tablespoon and are loaded with the minerals Selenium and Zinc which are needed as metabolic co-factors in your body. Most people are deficient in both of these!

4. Raw Eggs - Before you crinkle your nose, hear me out...Raw, organic, pastured eggs are a great source of protein and omega 3 fatty acids. They are also packed with B vitamins and antioxidants. Once you blend them up, you wont even know they're there :) If all you have are conventional eggs, I would skip this option.

5. Yogurt - Greek yogurt has up to 14 grams of protein per serving and contain those valuable probiotics (good bacteria) that help out digestion. If you have a dairy sensitivity, try using coconut or almond milk varieties of yogurt if tolerated. Be sure to read the labels as many commercial yogurts are loaded with sugar. I personally like Wallaby's Organic Greek yogurt which you can find at Whole Foods, Jimbos (local San Diego), or other grocery stores.


To view the original article and other protein ideas, visit the following link:  http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/1qRqKF/www.buzzfeed.com/deenashanker/chemical-free-ways-to-add-protein-to-your-smoothie/?_nospa=true

I would recommend staying away from adding SOY as a source of protein as it functions as a xenoestrogen in the body and can disrupt your endocrine pathways/cycles.

Enjoy!!

Do you have a favorite protein source to add to smoothies?


No comments:

Post a Comment